Rhode Island DUI Attorney
Driving while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs is a serious offense in the state of Rhode Island. People convicted of drunk driving may face a number of legal and financial penalties that could affect their personal and professional lives for years to come. If you have been accused of impaired driving, you need to fight to protect your rights.
Fortunately, legal assistance is available. Experienced Rhode Island DUI defense attorney Matthew Marin is prepared to aggressively represent your best interests. To discuss how our law firm can help you, call us today at 401-287-4384.
What Is Drunk Driving?
In Rhode Island, as in all US states, “drunk driving” is defined as operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or above for most drivers. If a driver is under the age of 21, the legal limit is a BAC of .02. For commercial truck or bus drivers, the legal limit is .04.
How Is DWI Penalized?
Driving under the influence (DUI) can be penalized in a number of ways in the state of Rhode Island. For a first-time conviction, potential punishments include:
- Up to one year in jail
- 10 to 60 hours of community service
- A fine of up to $500, depending on BAC and other factors
- Driver’s license suspension for 30 days to 18 months, depending on BAC
A second DUI conviction within 5 years of the first can be penalized by:
- Up to 3 years in jail (or 5 years for a BAC of .15 or above)
- A fine of up to $400 (or $1,000 for a BAC of .15 or above)
- Driver’s license suspension for up to 2 years
- Required use of an ignition interlock device for up to 2 years
- Required drug or alcohol treatment
Penalties like these can have serious personal and professional consequences for you. If you have been accused of DUI, do not take chances with your freedoms. Discuss your case with a knowledgeable Rhode Island DWI defense attorney today.
Rhode Island DWI defense lawyer Matthew Marin has successfully defended a large number of people accused of drunk driving; our law firm is ready to fight for you. For dedicated and knowledgeable legal assistance, contact our offices today by calling 401-287-4384.