Home  >  Practice Areas  >  Blood Alcohol Test

Rhode Island Blood Alcohol Tests Lawyer

Many people associate Breathalyzer testing with determining a person’s blood alcohol content (BAC). However, Breathalyzer tests can only give an estimate of a person’s BAC based on the alcohol content of his or her breath. The most accurate way to determine a person’s BAC is to take a sample of blood and analyze its alcohol content.

If you have been accused of drunk driving based on a blood test, or if you have been accused of refusing to consent to such a test, it is important for you to speak with a skilled and experienced attorney. To discuss your case with a Rhode Island blood alcohol tests lawyer, contact the offices of Matthew Marin at 401-287-4384.

Blood Alcohol Tests and Rhode Island Law

Blood alcohol tests are usually administered to people who have been arrested for drunk driving based on other types of evidence, such as field sobriety tests or preliminary Breathalyzer tests. They can be administered in a hospital or a police station.

Like Breathalyzer tests, blood alcohol tests are included in the legal doctrine of implied consent. This means that when you operate a motor vehicle in Rhode Island, you are automatically consenting to a BAC test if police officers believe you are under the influence of alcohol. The penalties for refusing a blood alcohol test can include:

  • Suspension of your license for up to 90 days
  • Mandatory community service
  • Mandatory alcohol abuse treatment

It is important to note that the results of a blood alcohol test can be influenced by a number of factors, including any medications the suspect has recently taken. If you have been given a blood alcohol test, or accused of refusing one, you need a Rhode Island DUI defense attorney who is thoroughly familiar with these tests and the law.

Contact Us

If you have been accused of impaired driving or refusing a blood test, we can help. To discuss your legal rights today, contact Rhode Island blood alcohol tests attorney Matthew Marin at 401-287-4384.