Home  >  Articles  >  Alcoholism and Your Family

Alcoholism and Your Family

Alcohol abuse does not only affect the abuser, it also impacts his or her family and friends. Although more than 14 million Americans battle an alcohol addiction, it is not often discussed in terms of familial strain and dysfunction.

If you or someone you love has been accused of an alcohol related offense, you may need legal representation. Contact Rhode Island DUI lawyer Matthew Marin at 401-287-4384 for a free consultation

Statistically Speaking…

  • Alcoholism plagues more than 50% of American families
  • 3 million Americans aged 60+ abuse alcohol
  • Approximately 6.6 million minors in the US live with an alcoholic mother or father.
  • 40% of alcoholism is genetic, and the other 60% stems from external circumstances.

If you or a loved one is suffering from alcohol addiction, there are a number of things you can do to help.

Talking with the abuser about his or her problem can be the first step toward acceptance and recovery. Additionally, speaking with children or other relatives that may be affected by the abuser’s addiction can be extremely therapeutic. If family members are severely influenced, it may be wise to consider professional counseling.

Once the abuser has accepted that he or she has a drinking problem, it is important that he or she receives treatment. Alcoholics Anonymous is an extremely common program used for coping with alcohol addiction.

Contact Us

If you or a family member has been charged with an alcohol related offense, it is important that you are adequately represented in order to ensure that you and your family are being treated fairly. Matthew Marin’s experience as a Rhode Island DUI defense attorney can help protect your rights. Call 401-287-4384 today to schedule your free consultation.